Friday 30 December 2011

Being gay and religion - will the two ever be friends?

I must be on a roll today with posts!!

I received this email a long time ago, and as I do, I tend to keep things just ''in case''. No matter your sexual orientation, I'm sure you would have to agree with many of the comments in the post. I'm interested to hear your opinions, whether positive or negative. I have copied and pasted the email verbatim except where I may have altered it for tidiness sake.

Here goes ...

> In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said
> that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according
> to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.
> The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

> Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone
tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them thatLeviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take
offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I
smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman,
Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,
Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education
University of Virginia
>
>
>
>
> PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian)

Being an athiest, I find it interesting as to how churches relate to todays modern people. Unfortunately, I am (not?) blessed in being a realist and unless I can see something tangible or evidence of its tangibility - is that a word? -  tend not to believe it. I read this article in an Adelaide newspaper that church attendances were going up and up. Desperate people were finally turning to the church to seek hope. I found myself in the city one Sunday morning - I think I may have been on my way to have a coffee and people watch - anyway, I went past one of the bigger churches in Victoria Square, and ducked my head in. Well, all I can say if that was a church attendance that was on the up and up, I hate to think what it was. As expected, it was mainly older people and any younger ones there had hair combed by mum and looked like they had been dressed by their parents as well. You know - the dorky kids that haven't developed their own personality yet and still wear slacks and pullovers to school as their parents did.

In addition, I always love how the bible - and I speak generically here) just happen to forget certain other things contained within its pages as it's deemed no longer necessary, yet, it picks out just a few items - in particular - homosexuality and it's abomination. It's almost laughable. I think the truth is more easier to digest in that people are leaving the church in droves because of the backward conservative attitudes. Churches may like to think otherwise, but denial always does that to you. I personally know a number of people who regard themselves as Christian, but do not go to church as they disagree with the attitudes of those within the church. Ahh, the debate goes on !! Always good hey ! I can feel a lightning strike heading my way. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment